Friday, July 4, 2008

Walk in the Woods

Ryan led us through the woods last night with his flashlight. He is four, so a walk in the dark woods was both scary and exciting. There were all kinds of people pouring through the woods to the place where the fireworks could best be viewed. People were laughing and talking. Hawkers were selling hotdogs and glow-in-the-dark necklaces. The biker ladies had little flashlights. Everything was electric as we approached the clearing. Then the floodlights went out, the hush over the crowd, and the beautiful fireworks, worthy of any great town. An adventure for all of us, but when seen through the eyes of my nephew, it was momentous. Watching him trying to keep up with his Grandpa as we went through the woods, shining that flashlight and determined to light our way, was one of the great treasures of the night.
Life hands us moments like these once in a while. The courage it takes to go through the woods at night; the triumph of return to home with the glow in the dark necklace around our heads like an Olympic wreath. The knowledge that we go through the dark places to come to a place where people celebrate with us, and we return home through the dark places to contemplate and rest alone from our adventures. This morning, the fourth of July, I remember our founding fathers signing their declaration, and I think about them riding out by horse to read it aloud to people all over the countryside. Going through dark places to celebrate with others, just as we did last night. What a journey those who walk this land have been given. Such bravery and independence starts with a light, and a walk in the woods.
Happy Fourth to you all.

2 comments:

Scott Mooney said...

It is the little joy sin life that really make it worth living!

Oh, and I had a nice little chuckle at your comment: "I remember our founding fathers signing their declaration"

Um.... is that REALLY what you meant to say? :)

And you are absolutely right, the header graphic is perfect.

-Scott

BloggieDoggie said...

Yes, I am feeling old. I am such a history nut, sometimes I feel like I was there. You got me on that one. I should have said, I remember reading about our founding fathers...Ok, I'll edit that one, and thanks for the hint about the header. I am learning something all the time.
LJ