Monday, July 21, 2008

Will Power

This morning I had the opportunity to hear Will Richardson speak at the Summer Technology Institute in Howard County. He spoke about seeing things through the lens of his kids. I am right there with him. My lens is my daughter, who is quickly approaching 13. Right now she is planning her dream teen room. We have been on PB (Pottery barn) teen and put the dimensions in for her room. We have moved furniture without pulling my back out of whack. She has already started to lobby us for her Christmas present, a Black Apple laptop, which she knows will take some financial planning. She goes to school, and like Will's kids, I know her real day begins when she gets home and starts to interact with her media. Upon returning from sixth grade outdoor ed, she kissed the floor and said,"I love my technology world." She is my lens.

She picked up Fireworks in no time. You should see her new blog header, but it is password protected so I'll describe it. Green swishing background, Chinese characters on either side of her name and like Chase, in the link Lori C sent us earlier, her name is reflected and shadowed beneath. No problem following Chase's tutorial.

When she goes to eighth grade this Fall, I am hoping for the rare teacher who can reach into her world of design and technology. I am looking for the teacher who wants to engage thirteen year olds with others like themselves around the world. What an opportunity to connect this age group with a world of resources that is outside the walls of their school. Thin walls. That's my hope for the new school year.

3 comments:

Scott Mooney said...

LJ - Just like you, it wasn't until my son was in school did I really get it. My wife and I used to bristle at parents who would tell us that we didn't understand - we were trained educators who deeply cared about what we were doing! How dare they tell us we didn't know? Now we know. We understand. My son's 1st grade teacher was amazing. She cared. She spent extra time and energy on my special needs child. We couldn't ask for anything more. But, she didn't get it either. She was too young but it wasn't her youth that really made the difference. She hadn't fallen head over heals in love for a bald-headed, scrunched up smelly and yucky newborn. She hadn't spent countless hours walking around in a dark apartment saying prayers that the baby would be well in the morning. She hadn't lost her cool for no really good reason because she had a grand total of 17 minutes to herself in the last 4 weeks. :)

So, I get what you are saying about Will's talk. We need to try as hard as we can to get it from their angle. I was thinking about that the other day. I remember being a teenager and promising myself that I'd never forget. Well, I did it. I forgot. I'll try as hard as I can to remember when the time comes but when the mortgage is due and the job interview is a few days away it is hard to care about remembering right?

Wow, this went on too long. I must have had this all bottled up for a while. Thanks for the opportunity to rant. :)

SM

Will Richardson said...

Thanks for that reflection! I do wonder sometimes if it is decidedly different for those of us who have kids who are staring this in the face.

BTW, I told you I would find this in my Reader, and sure enough, it came through during my second session yesterday. Teachable moment!

BloggieDoggie said...

Thanks Will,
I heard that my blog made a splash during your workshop. I didn't know you could do that from your Reader. Very cool.

I know I feel called as the parent of an emerging teen to do everything I can to get her the resources she needs. I am motivated to think of ways I could do something similar to the e-learning homeschool that you set up. My daughter regularly video chats with her cousin in LA. They are designing the outside (him) and inside (her) of a future hotel. I overhear them drawing and sharing ideas all the time. It would be great to hook them up with an architect/designer support person via the web.

For our kids today, it's all about connections. I am going to keep my ears open on the beach next week; possibilities are all around us.

Happy to have been your teachable moment yesterday. All the best.
Lori